Tuesday 21 June 2011

Sesame Oil Chicken Mee Sua

Been having bouts of nostalgia of late and really craving for some good robust home cooked food. Being in a foreign land, who to turn to except me, myself and I. So, armed with the laptop, I plunged headlong into my search for a simple to-follow recipe of everyone's childhood dish, the humble sesame oil chicken 麻油鸡. Due to its liberal use of ginger, it is also a must-have confinement dish for new mummies.

Anyway, coming back late from work yesterday and at the same time recalling a conversation I had a while back, I decided to put the idea given to me into action as I was in no mood to cook additional rice to go with the dish. The idea was to incorporate mee sua into the dish. So, I tweaked the recipe a little to make this a one dish meal.

This is the first time I am actually posting a recipe as I often cook just using my gut instincts. As such, I will try to be as specific as I possibly can.

Sesame Oil Chicken Mee Sua 麻油鸡面线 (Serves 2)

Ingredients:

4 chicken drumettes or wings
3 inches knob of ginger (peeled and coarsely minced)
1 tbsp dark soy sauce
1/2 tbsp light soy sauce
3 tbsp sesame oil
1 tbsp chinese rice wine or Benedictine Dom liqueur
1/4 tsp sugar
50ml water
2 coils of mee sua


Method:

1. Heat the wok and add in the sesame oil.
2. Add the coarsely minced ginger and stir fry till fragrant. Most recipes indicate ginger strips but I personally find minced ginger more pleasing when consumed in larger quantities as per this recipe.
3. Add chicken and continue to stir fry for a few minutes.
4. Add the soy sauces, wine and sugar.
5. Continue to stir fry till chicken is almost cooked and add in the water. Cover and let it simmer for a few minutes.
6. Lastly, add in the mee sua. More water might be needed as the mee sua is like a sponge absorbing loads of liquid.
7. Garnish with coriander and serve immediately.

Bon Appetit!

1 comment:

Lady J said...

Yippee!! Cat has finally posted recipes on your blog! Now I can follow!